Saturday, March 10, 2012

Early Literacy Course

I am excited to begin a course through the Stern Center for Language and Learning. The three credit undergraduate course is called, Building Blocks for Literacy. I thought I would blog about some of what I am learning and share my assignments & projects as a way of inspiring other ECE and bloggers who are working with young children!

Week one's focus is reviewing early literacy research. Our assignment before our first class meeting is to read three research articles and a chapter from our main text. Geeez...I know it's been almost 10 years since I finished my Master's but I am not used to this volume of reading. Hopefully our weekly assignments won't require this much reading ...or I might have to give up reading all my favorite blogs.

I case you're feeling bored I've listed what we're reading. I'd love Cliff notes for the second on the list if you're interested!

I'll be back in a day or two with a riveting essay about developmentally appropriate practice in early childhood programs. Until then...I've got to get back to reading!


References: 

Literacy for Young Children: A Guide for Early Childhood Educators (pp. xiii-20)

Gunn, B.K., Simmons, D.C., & Kameenui, E.J. (Date). Emergent Literacy: Synthesis of the Research. http://www.eric.ed.gov/PDFS/ED386866.pdf

Lonigan, C J. & Shanahan, T (Date). Executive Summary Developing Early Literacy: Report of the National Early Literacy Panel. National Institute for Literacy. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/publications/pubs/upload/NELPSummary.pdf

National Association for the Education of Young Children Position Statement. (2009. Developmentally Appropriate Practice in Early Childhood Programs Serving Children from Birth through Age 8.)
http://www.naeyc.org/files/naeyc/file/positions/PSDAP.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment