Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Ten Frames

My daughter ( 3 years 1 month) is fascinated with counting. She showed the other day how many blocks she had and was able to count to 19 with one to one correspondence. Wow! When did she learn that? I certainly haven't been working on that skill with her.


I thought making some ten frames and working on some math skills would be a great summer learning project. My son (6 years 9 months) loves math and is eager to 'teach sissy' some new math things. So I envision printing the ten frames and then letting them play together with them.

I'm sure I can figure out how to make my own files that I can share via Google Docs, but every time I decide I'm going to make something I find a similar (or even better file) as a free printable somewhere on the blogosphere! Here's some great resources:
I love the free printable here - http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Free-Printable-Ten-Frames
I know my daughter will love the stars because they look similar to the stars on Dora! I'm planning on coming up with some fun "Dora Counting Games" using these ten frames.

This link has free printable ten frames with some unusual dot themes (alien, lightning bolt, hearts, and ying yangs)
http://thelintonacademy.blogspot.com/2012/06/printable-ten-frame-cards.html
This article does a great job of explaining ten frames and ways to build number sense -
http://prekandksharing.blogspot.com/2012/05/ten-frames-and-number-sense.html

And thanks to all the bloggers that share free printables!

No comments:

Post a Comment